To better understand the above diagram, we'll start by walking through what happens when a user changes a user input extension. For any unfamiliar terminology, refer to the successive sections:
- 1. User changes value of Analytica Extension input in browser.
- 2. Analytica Extension makes update definition soap call to ACP.
- 3. ACP tells ADE to update the variable's definition in the model which it does.
- 4. The variable's onChange event is triggered and dependent outputs are reevaluated and ADE writes/updates the result csv files on the hard drive.
- 5. The ACP call to ADE returns. Now ACP informs Analytica Extension that the definition has been updated after csv files are written.
- 7. Tableau in the browser tells tableau server to refresh the data in the worksheets.
- 8. Tableau server re-reads the csv files and sends the new data back to tableau in the browser and tableau in the browser updates the affected graphs etc.
- Analytica Desktop (Analytica): Analytica is a visual software environment for building, exploring, and sharing quantitative decision models. The latest version can be downloaded at https://lumina.com/support-2/analytica-downloads/.
- Tableau Desktop: Tableau is an interactive data visualization software tool. The latest version can be downloaded at https://www.tableau.com/products/desktop/download.
- ACPT Library (.ana): Analytica Library that can be added to your own Analytica model (.ana) to read in Tableau user/model details and generate/update CSV files for use in Tableau. Get the ACPT Library here.
- Tableau Extension Files (.trex): Custom extensions that communicate with Analytica to update the data that Tableau is using. ACPT Extension File Hub hosts the various extensions and ACPT Tableau Extensions details their uses.
- Analytica Cloud Platform (ACP): ACP lets you run Analytica models via a web browser, and share your models with other people. More details can be found on the Analytica Cloud Platform page.
- Tableau Server: Tableau server is Tableau's official online hosting method for Tableau models and their associated data. More info on this can be found on Tableau's server page.
- CSV File (.csv): in this context, generated from running various nodes in Analytica Desktop .
- Analytica model file (.ana): generated from the Analytica Desktop application.
- Tableau Workbook (.twb): generated from the Tableau Desktop application. Default save location is Documents -> My Tableau Repository -> Workbooks.
Required Folder Directories
Note: These directories (marked in bold) will be created automatically by Analytica Desktop / Tableau Desktop throughout the setup process. These are created for use within the server and can be removed from your local computer once the setup has been completed.
- Local Disk (C:) -> ACPT data -> <Model Identifier> Data -> <Tableau UserID>
- This PC -> Documents -> My Tableau Repository -> Workbooks
- ACPT - Analytica with Tableau
- ACPT Architecture
- ACPT: Installation and Setup
- ACPT Tableau Extensions
- Installing ACPT Extensions on Your Server
- ACPT Extension File Hub